Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Weighing in on the Business of Yoga

Last week The Leader Post published an article about the business of yoga in Regina.  The article , has been the topic of a couple yogi bloggers over the past few days and I thought I would add my opinion to the mix. The general gist of the article in the Leader Post was about how yoga has grown in popularity in our city, with some interviews from local studio owners and teachers about the business of running a yoga studio.  The article also commented on the newly opened Lululemon store in the city, commenting on how the store sells a yoga image using local teachers and in store classes to promote their brand.

Indeed, yoga is a commodity.   It is a recreational activity, something many of us do in our spare time.   Practising in a studio setting is primarily available to those of privilege.  We cannot argue that the maintenance of a studio fits right into the capitalist model, simply because studio owners need to pay their bills, and feed themselves.    The cost of practising in a studio is certainly prohibitive for many.  Most studios offer energy exchanges, or offering options to those who are unable to afford yoga. I have yet to pay for a yoga class at my studio using real money - my entire practice career, teacher training, and current workshop attendance has been paid for in the form of energy exchange.  But, I'm still in a position of privilege,  I was a stay at home mom until I started working at the studio full time, and I was able to afford the time to practice in a studio.

I think the first conclusion we can make is that studio based practice is not available to all.  There will be impossible barriers to practice for some.  This is the reality of a capitalism.

I get paid for what I do.  I expect to be paid to teach.  I do volunteer my time once a week to teach at the YMCA (a truly non profit, community based organization promoting wellness).  I couldn't afford the time to teach as much as I do, if I were not being paid.

I love teaching.  I love sharing the physical practice of yoga with my students.  As mentioned in a previous blog post, the tradition of yoga is so vast that often just teaching an asana practice is what feels most authentic to me.  I argued that the spirituality of the tradition of yoga is being dumbed down to appeal to a western market.

We live in a culture of lululemon, mirrored 40 degree Bikram yoga classes, naked yoga, hula hoop yoga, paddle board yoga, branded yoga of every kind.   The tradition of yoga can sometimes feel pretty watered down by the consumer approach yoga studios take in an attempt to attract students to their studios, increasing their market share.  Increased revenue means a better standard of living for studio owners and teachers.

I have no issue with lululemon, nor do I have issue with Bikram, nude yoga, and all the other styles of yoga.  Some sit better with me than others.  Particularly the styles that do not propose they are anything more than what they are.   I have full respect for those who call a duck, a duck.  It's cool,  end of story.  It's a gimmick, end of story.  It's fun, end of story.

It's when we start to attach spirituality to this stuff that feels like the tradition of yoga is being co-opted by capitalism.  When the competitiveness of the business, the drive to push students in and out the door is more important than the authenticity of practice, I start to feel disillusioned.

My teacher once said to me, "There is nothing hidden in arm balances, the postures do not contain some deeper level of insight - being able to do an arm balance does not make you a better person.  It makes you a person who is able to do an arm balance."  Yet, we often see these postures being sold as "transformative".   If there is transformation through yoga, it certainly doesn't come with the ability to do a handstand.

The transformation comes from the yoga itself.  It isn't found in nakedness, or on a paddleboard. It becomes available when students begin to open up to creating a relationship with themselves.   On the mat, and off the mat.

I hope that from under all this consumerism, the gimmicks, and the marketing of yoga we can cultivate an authentic life through practice.  Rameen Peyrow addressed this in the Leader Post article stating,  "while people may start practising yoga for all kinds of reasons, ultimately, as they cultivate a genuine meaningful practice, they become more introspective and end up reaping all the benefits of yoga. Yoga's main purpose  is to help practitioners cultivate a relationship with themselves."

We need to come to each practice with an openness and a willingness to cultivate that relationship.  We need to pay attention to what pops up for us on the mat, and decide if we are willing to create the changes we want to by being honest in our relationship with ourselves.  Letting go of self limiting thoughts, working hard to open the body up so we can move freely, cultivating strength of mind and body, and becoming more compassionate are all components of a meaningful yoga practice.  Then, we take this work off the mat.  This is how we bring yoga to the larger community.  Not everyone can afford to practice yoga in a studio, nor will everyone want to begin practising yoga.  No matter how we try to sell it.  Our job as practitioners to is to carry the yoga with us.  

Western culture co-opts everything.  If it can be sold, it'll be marketed and sold.  Yoga is not exempt from this. I think we can best approach this by recognizing when we are selling something based on false or fragile spirituality.  We owe it to our practice, and our students to be honest about what we are doing.  We discredit the entire practice when we allow greed or ego to guide our intention.  Be honest.  Be authentic.  Get people in the door.  Sell yoga, not illusion.

1 comment:

  1. Robin this is wonderful. Nailed it. Also excuse my username. I haven't commented on a blogspot since high school.

    ReplyDelete