Tuesday, July 2, 2013

#TechFreeSummer



Summer is here!  Every year, in about February I make a pledge to myself:

This year, I will enjoy every moment of summer. 


Summer rolls around and I spend a bit of time outside, maybe a camping trip, maybe a hike and then it's September.  It always goes by so quickly.  This year I pledge again, I will enjoy EVERY moment of summer.  The warm days, the rainy days, the summer storms, the boredom, the freedom, the scraped knees, the s'mores, the warm nights, the sunsets, the sunrises (maybe?).  

In order to have the time to enjoy summer, I am going to cut a few things from my daily routine.  Most obviously, excessive use of social media.  I'll be the first to admit that I am a social media junkie.  I enjoy Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, Instagramming, etc..  I like online community, and love the connection it gives me with friends and family.  Social media is probably the biggest time consumer in my life. Checking, reading, updating eats away those precious summer days.  But, not this year.  

Here is the challenge -  July & August Technology Reduction!  

1. No Facebook
2. No Twitter
3. No Pinterest
4. No Blogger
5. Limited Instagram*

*Here is my one concession.  I like to photograph and share.  I want to continue doing that.  I'm going to post a daily collage of my #techfreesummer (I understand the irony of posting tech free summer photographs on Instagram, I'm okay with that...), as well as continue to participate in any challenges I've begun (#yogangsters & #21dsd).  

Students!  You can see my summer schedule here.   Or follow on Instagram @suryayogaregina #summersurya for occasional updates on yoga related stuff.  

Students & Friends.  I encourage you to join in. 

Instead of checking in on Facebook, call a friend.  Instead of updating your status, write in a journal.  Instead of posting a photo, savour the moment in the moment.  Instead of reading a blog, read a book.  Go to the beach.  Run through the sprinkler with your kids.  Practice yoga in the backyard.  Go on a hike.  Spend time in nature.  Get some sunshine every single day.   Do all the things you did before you had a little computer permanently attached to your person.  

Feel free to document your #TechFreeSummer on Instagram along with me.  Again, irony not lost.  One photo per day - at the end of the day.  Let's make #summer2013 a summer to remember.  

See you back in September!  









No comments:

Post a Comment