Thursday, February 21, 2013

super tasty delicious & energizing granola bars


Teaching yoga has my schedule all over the place and as a result, there are days when I need a quick, filling, energy snack to tide me over until I can sit down for a proper meal.  I've been meaning to make myself a granola bar type snack for a while now - and finally made the time yesterday to create this little bar of deliciousness.  I was pretty happy with the results, so I thought I'd go out on a limb and share it on my blog.

I'm not a precise person in the kitchen - and so my recipes are, for the most part, general approximations.  I typically just feel out quantities and hope for the best.  I encourage you to be creative with this recipe, it's pretty much impossible to mess this one up.

Recipe:

1 cup thick rolled oats
1 cup of various seeds & dried fruits
   - I used chia, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin seeds plus a serving of hemp protein powder and dried apricot, blueberry & cranberries 
1/2 cup raw local honey 
1/2 cup sugar & salt free peanut butter 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
about 14 oz semi sweet or dark chocolate 

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix wet ingredients plus cinnamon & salt into a sauce pan.  Heat the saucepan over medium to low heat stirring constantly until a light boil starts - allow to boil for a few moments longer, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour into a parchment lined 8X8 pan and press firmly with a spoon (I dip the spoon in warm water to make this part easier).  Melt chocolate in a double boiler and pour over top, spreading thinly over the entire pan.

Pop in the fridge for a couple of hours.  After they have hardened, cut into squares or bars.

If you want to paleofy this recipe, try replacing oats with mixed chopped nuts and sub another nut butter in for the peanut butter.  You may also want to play around with the honey to nut butter ratio.





No comments:

Post a Comment