Thursday, January 10, 2013

A few thoughts on practising yoga.....

If I were to say anything about my yoga practice, I would say that it has been entirely transformative.  It has taken me from being a shy, introverted, socially awkward housemom to an outgoing, expressive, extroverted [fill in the blank - mom, yogi, daughter, friend... etc].  I remember walking into teacher training at Bodhi Tree Yoga on my first day, feeling just a bit out of place and quite nervous about the undertaking I was about to embark upon.

As we sat in the studio, each student was asked to introduce themselves.  Panic.  I was terrified about talking in front of a group of people.  As each trainee introduced themselves, I quietly freaked out and planned my introduction nervously in my head.  At my turn, I managed to fumble my way through the introduction thinking, "How on earth will I ever get up in front of a group of students and teach them yoga?".

Well, sometime between that first day of teacher training and my first class at the YMCA six months later - I found myself able to feel comfortable in a teaching setting.  My ease with the training group became apparent and I was able to participate and express my thoughts and ask questions.

What changed?  Did yoga transform me into something I wasn't?  or did I begin to express who I REALLY am?

It is Patanjoli's (Yoga Sutras) view that yoga is a project that we take on to better ourselves.  The aim of yoga being to make one's thoughts and behaviour reflect their true nature (not harmful, covetous or deceitful)(Raganathan, 2008).  We all come to the mat for a variety of reasons, but it seems that most people undertake the project of yoga in the pursuit of some type of transformation.

That transformation can be anything from stilling the mind, to improving flexibility, getting stronger, losing weight, improving mood, to rehabilitation after injury or illness.  Whenever I start a new session, I ask the class to tell me why they've decided to start practising.  Almost every student is looking to change or improve something in their life.

When I talk to new students about yoga as being something transformative, I often explain my own story of transformation.  Moving from being introverted and shy to being able to teach yoga with ease and comfort.  I also talk about the transformations in my own body, particularly the dramatic changes in posture I've experienced.  That the practice of yoga, has indeed been a tool for change & growth.

After explaining my story, I like to explain my personal approach to practising yoga.  I have several considerations that all play a role in my approach to practice.

1. Know your body.  Know your body's limitations & it's capabilities.  Understand that this is never set in stone, it's fluid and changing.  Take time before every practice to feel where you are on that day, and then practise with that in mind.  Not becoming attached to strength or weakness, pleasure or plain.  Just allow for communication with your body.
2. Know your mind.  Know that your mind cannot always be trusted.  Know if you tend toward self defeating thoughts, or risk taking behaviours.  If you know what your habitual tendencies are, you can begin to challenge them in your practice.
3. Work your edges.  Find edges in your body, edges in your mind.  And be there.  Practice on the edge, that's where all the really cool stuff happens.  Then, step beyond the edge every once in a while.  See where that takes you.
4. Invite adversity and ride it.  Sometimes yoga is hard.  Invite that into your practice, and explore how you react to challenges.
5. Breathe.  Just do it.  Just keep breathing.
6. Have a sense of humour.  I think this is vital.  Don't take yourself so bloody seriously!  Sometimes I look out over my class and everyone is so serious.  I do it myself.  I often forget to smile and have fun while I practice.  Do this.  Do this mindfully.  Express joy in the movement of your body.  Be expressive and full of life, and when you fall over or when you reach your edge and tumble over it into an abyss - just laugh.  So much easier than being self critical or judgemental.
7. Be humble.  If you nail a kick ass pose.  Cool, but keep it in perspective.  I like to keep in mind that no matter where I go with my practice, there is always a vast sea beyond that.  Mastery is not the goal, it's all about the journey and being exactly where you are.  And being content with that.  Not complacent, because it is vital to remember that you are not stuck where you are.
8. Because, of course, yoga is a practice.  Just keep returning to your mat, returning to your body, returning to your breath and returning to the stillness.

Practice
Nadi Shodana - alternate nostril breathing
Balasana
Adho Mukha Svanasana
Uttanasana
Tadasana
Vrksasana
Parsvottanasana
Virabhadrasana 1
Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
Virabhadrasana 2
Parsvakonasana
Prasarita Padottanasana
Bakasana
Ardha Matseyendrasana
Savasana







1 comment: